The University of Tennessee, Knoxville Office of Research and Engagement (ORE) is pleased to invite applications for the FY21 Chancellor Award for Success in Multidisciplinary Research.
A success of the public research university in the United States is that colleagues from various disciplinary areas come together to pursue multidisciplinary problems that relate to some of the grand challenges in society. Such teams represent a change in culture for universities that historically have recognized achievements in research, scholarship, and creative activity in disciplinary areas.
Given the need for our university to encourage faculty to collaborate to solve these major societal issues and challenges, the Chancellor has established an award for multidisciplinary research.
This award recognizes a team of faculty members who are located in more than one academic college, have formed a team, and have succeeded in gaining major external resources and external recognition for their multidisciplinary research. Nominees must have a minimum of three years of service on the faculty of the University of Tennessee, Knoxville.
All nominees must have a minimum of three years of service on the faculty of the University of Tennessee.
One team will share a $5,000 award which will be announced at the Chancellor Awards Banquet scheduled for Spring 2021.
Each Department Head associated with the multi-disciplinary team will provide a nomination letter. Please include the following:
- Nomination Letters: Describe the team’s engagement in research or creative achievement and its significance to the research topic (Limit to one single-spaced 11 point typed page for each department.)
- Supporting Documentation: Provide the following information for the multi-disciplinary team demonstrating joint collaboration only*: (Full CVs will not be accepted):
- List the team’s research awards, publications, papers, etc., of peer recognition relating to the multidisciplinary project:
- Articles in refereed journals (include volume, issue, page numbers)
- Abstracts and/or papers published as proceedings of professionally recognized organizations (include publisher and date)
- Other, e.g., national media.
- List research grants and contracts in support of the multidisciplinary project. Include dates, dollar amount, duration, and source for each.
- Provide names of graduate students involved in the multidisciplinary project.
- Provide evidence of national and international recognition for the project. Give dates and complete information.
* Only publications directly associated with the multidisciplinary project should be provided in the nomination information.
- Department Head or proxy completes the online form attaching Department Heads’ nomination letters and supporting documentation.
- Nominations that do not adhere to the guidelines will not be considered (e.g., exceeding page limits, failure to include all sections, etc.)
- Deadline: Department Head nominates faculty member by completing online application by January 22, 2021.
- Evaluation: A subcommittee of the Research Council will evaluate the applications and make recommendations to the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Research Development.
- Selection Results: One team will be selected and notified at the Chancellor’s Awards banquet scheduled for Spring 2021.
Please direct inquiries to:
Telephone: 865 974 0437