In 1982, the L. R. Hesler Award for Excellence in Teaching and Service was established to honor Dr. L. R. Hesler, a man known for his outstanding teaching abilities and his service to the University community. Dr. Hesler was an internationally respected scientist and for many years was dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. Recipients of the Hesler Award have been outstanding professors whose genuine interest in students and contributions to UT Knoxville has exemplified the traits for which Dr. Hesler was best known.
Selection Process and Criteria
The recipient shall be a full-time employee of the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, at the time of the selection, or for the full academic year immediately prior to selection and must hold the rank of professor or associate professor. Selection shall be based upon the following criteria:
- honorable, congenial, and untainted character
- respected as an excellent teacher by both students and peers
- high degree of professional dedication and leadership
- genuine interest in the progress of his/her students
- ability to inspire and motivate students, both in and out of the classroom
- pursuit of excellence in research and study in his/her chosen field
- active involvement in worthy research, writings, or campus civic activities
Hesler Award nominations should include a current curriculum vitae, not to exceed five pages in length, and a letter that clearly documents the nominee’s record of service to students and to the campus community. All nomination materials should be scanned and submitted as a single PDF.
If you would like to nominate a faculty member from your area, please submit nominations electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than December 18, 2020.